Photo: UN Volunteer Rhea Mahanta, gender focal point for the UNMISS Civil Affairs' Bor Field Office, visits the Panyier Unified Military Training Center in Jonglei State where government and opposition forces undergo joint training to form South Sudan's National Army. Life in these environments is hard, and men and women have different needs. Undergoing training for months under these harsh conditions with almost no facilities, particularly in a State rife with conflict, can prompt many women to leave their training behind to return to their families. Rhea and her colleagues distributed sanitary napkins and hygiene kits for the women, for whom it was crucial to have those resources if they were to continue with their military training.
© UNMISS, 2020
Reassign your volunteer to meet your evolving needs
When operational requirements demand it, move quickly to reassign your volunteer to where their skills and experience will deliver the most value.
Feel empowered to make minor changes on your own with the volunteer. Involve UNV prior to effecting any significant changes to the assignment – here’s how:
Where only slight modifications to the Description of Assignment apply, you can make those changes directly, after consulting with your volunteer.
We do not need to take administrative actions for variations of this nature:
4. Email ‘email@example.com’ your updated assignment description.
You can authorize temporary mission travel of your volunteer for up to 3 months to a different project, duty station or mission area, with only minor changes to their responsibilities in their original Description of Assignment. To change their responsibilities, or travel of more than 3 months, you must ask for your UN Volunteer to be reassigned (see tab on reassignment above).
4. Arrange internally with your volunteer, email ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ to record temporary mission travel in the system.
If your volunteer has served less than 4 years and has no pending investigations or disciplinary issues, you can reassign them to meet your operational needs. Ensure that your UN Volunteer:
- remains in their category and type - these cannot be changed.
- is reassigned for more than 3 months, any less is considered mission travel (see tab on mission travel above)
- must remain with your organization, and their experience and qualifications must meet the eligibility criteria of the new position.
You may for example change:
- the duty station (within the country or mission area)
- the core functions in the description of assignment.
Ask us to reassign your volunteer through Unified Volunteering Platform (UVP) before setting your volunteer work and leave the admin to us. We will get back promptly with our approval.
5. See UNV Volunteer Services Centre swiftly process reassignment and pay related benefits and entitlements to your volunteer.
Contact our Regional Office to help you through the process, if needed.